Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Back Pain is Repressed Anger


I didn't just make this up. There's a whole movement around this started by Dr. John Starno (Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection).



And I believe it's true, based on my experience with back pain. But let me back up for a minute (pun intended) and tell you how I think my back pain started.

Yoga was a big part of who I was/am. But at my last job, they put another person in my office. Me, the introvert, was working everyday with a very extroverted person in "my" office. And in that office, I would often use part of my lunch hour to pop in a DVD and do a yoga session. Or just roll out the mat when I was stressed and work it out. But I stopped doing that when this happened. Because? I WAS SELF CONSCIOUS. But, what was more true, is I lost that part of myself. To get along. To not be weird. To not make someone else uncomfortable.

I've decided it bothers me that we've used a phrase as powerful as "self conscious" to be a bad thing. I wish we'd known enough as a species to have said instead: ego conscious. I'm conscious of my ego, my fake self, my protective shell, my social face.

Because to be self-conscious should be a good thing. And now we don't have a way to say, "I have awakened to myself. I am self-conscious." This came up for me this morning when I did yoga. I haven't done yoga in probably a year. And just typing that brings tears to my eyes. I'm not sure if my back pain started because of this or not. But back pain happened, and happened in a big way (emergency room visits) and I stopped exercising all together. It's all sort of a swirl to me. But since I left that job, I haven't had a back flare. In fact, I've been gardening and doing home improvement and kept noticing that my back was cooperating instead of stabbing me like before.

So today, I tried yoga again. I put in my favorite DVD. And it was like, "Wow...welcome home, baby...where have you been?" I felt self-conscious (in the best possible way) as I went through the familiar and beloved movements of my body. I was still a little scared, but I completed the entire session. And it felt wonderful. We'll see what happens tonight. Will I have a flare? Or am I self-conscious enough of my anger issues that I don't need this "reminder"?

3 comments:

  1. First let me say, I love that you turned the term "self-conscious" around for me! I am also a lover and believer in yoga and I've fallen off my routine because of other responsibilities. I know that yoga and other holistic methods, like orthopedic care are best options for helping my back and leg pain. I'm inspired to get back to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear it. Yoga is just ESSENTIAL to health, if you ask me. You may really appreciate the CD I mention above. You can listen while driving and he makes so much sense...much better than I did in this blog entry! I haven't had a back spasm since listening to the CD. Hey---if it's just all in my head? I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find Anger management Is your temper hijacking your life? Online Anger managemnt course Edmonton Alberta, court accepted program. one to one counselling avaible.

    Please Visit at: https://edmontonangermanagement.ca/

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Link to Website

Visit Stephanie's website for more information like this: Work-Stress-Solutions.Com